lunes, 5 de octubre de 2009

Hans THEESSINK - Johnny & The Devil 1989


Hans THEESSINK - Johnny & The Devil 1989
Label: Rounder Records

Blues

Ater the success of Baby Wants To Boogie we recorded Johnny & The Devil - another record with the unusual blend of guitar and tuba at the core. By now I had started my own Label Blue Groove - so fortunately I never was in the situation that somebody else was telling me what to play and how to play it. The music is too important for me and I've always done and will always do what I enjoy myself. Once again the title track got a lot of airplay; it was banned in South Africa though - they didn't allow the word Devil in a song. The song "Johnny & The Devil" was my first videoclip - you can see it on my DVD "Live in concert" - "A Blues & Roots Revue". As a songwriter I'm also quite happy with the song "Mississippi" - my impression of the feel and images of the place where the blues was born, written after my first trip to Mississippi. (Hans Theessink)

PRESS:
Hans’ innovative interpretations of works by bluesgiants, his deep voice, intimate approach, and acoustic slide guitar will inevitably remind many listeners of Ry Cooder’s blues style. It would be a disservice to Theessink however, to cast him as a simple imitator, for he is not. His own songs convey the personal interpretive mood of the best of acoustic blues, and is accomplished in a singular, arresting manner. (Journal of American Folklore, USA)

With a whiskey-soaked voice and the ability to play almost anything with strings well Hans Theessink cooks up a tasty mix of originals and traditional blues. Each song is performed with a sparse yet funky sound. (New Music Report, USA)
**
When I saw that this CD was available for review, I jumped at the opportunity. I've been playing it on my radio show for a month and like it a lot. Known as the Euro Bluesman, Theessink's new release showcases his fluency in a variety of blues styles. "Travelling Man" and "Shake Hands With the Sun" are country blues/swing tunes in the style of Merle Travis. The traditional delta blues numbers on this CD are also outstanding. Stinging dobro and mandolin licks punctuate the Son House-influenced "Grinning in Your Face" and Theessink's "False Accusations." Jimmy Cliff"s "Sitting in Limbo" is done in a "Caribbean Blues" style with just a hint of its reggae roots. "Flying Shoes" was penned while Theessink was touring with Bo Diddley and features Diddley's classic open chord riff.Hans Theessink's vocal range is similar to Leon Redbone's, but his delivery is much smoother. One listener thought he was hearing new Jerry Jeff Walker material. All of the songs on this CD feature the tuba playing of John Sass. Used in place of a bass guitar, the tuba is an excellent complement to Theessink's deep voice and gives all the songs unique texture. With the exception of the Jimmy Cliff song, Theessink wrote or arranged all the material on this release. He provides lyrics and liner notes, as well as denoting the key in which each song is written. A great CD for a tin-eared living room musician like myself. I not only get to listen to ten excellent blues tunes, I can also play along.
By Gerry Lell.
**
Hans Theessink: Vocals, guitars, dobro, mandolin, steelbody guitar, mandocello, fiddle,
harmonica, jew´s harp, backing vocals
Jon Sass: Tuba, backing vocals
Alex Munkas: Drums, percussioon
Chris Haig: Fiddle
Carl Kaye: Pedal-steel
Geraint Watkins: Accordion
Bummi Fian: Trumpet
Christian Radovan: Trombone
Wolfgang Puschnig: Alto sax
Christian Dozzler: Harmonica
Jatinder Takur: Tablas, sitar
Pippa Armstrong, Alee Thelfa, Dorretta Carter, Bobby Hammer, STS: Backing vocals.
**
01. Johnny & The Devil
02. Travelling Man
03. Sitting in Limbo
04. Living In The Fast Lane
05. Mississippi
06. Flying Shoes
07. Shake Hands with The Sun
08. Dough Roller Blues
09. Grinning In Your Face
10. False Accusations
*
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario