lunes, 12 de octubre de 2009

The N´awlins Gumbo Kings - We're The Gumbo Kings 2004


The N¨awlins Gumbo Kings - We're The Gumbo Kings 2004
Label: Blue Cat

Jazz

After months of toil and trial, the Gumbo Kings are proud to release their first CD! We're The Gumbo Kings cuts a wide swath through the very center of the Crescent City patois, and challenges the stodgiest listener to keep from smiling and shakin' his or her groove thang. The G.Kings take their shots across the entire range of the New Orleans musical heritage, from the horns blowing on the traditional second line all the way up through Mike Sizer's "Dixieland rap". The guys are honored to include a foreword to their album by legendary musician and educator Leon Breeden. Dig what Professor Breeden has to say about the Gumbo Kings...

We're The Gumbo Kings, The N'Awlins Gumbo Kings: Foreword When Steve Howard called to ask if I would consider expressing my reaction after hearing their new CD, my response was made without hesitation because I had heard the group live not long ago and I had an idea that it was going to be a fine musical experience. It is a distinct honor to have the chance to be included! Having spent my entire adult life in music from age nine, it follows that I have had the opportunity to hear a great number of bands of all sizes; In fact, I have performed in and conducted every type of group, from trios to large jazz, concert and marching bands, as well as several symphony orchestras. Steve kindly brought a copy of the test pressing and left it with me. I noted that there were fourteen selections, some of my all-time favorites, an well an some original selections I had never heard before. The excitement started instantly with Steve’s powerful first note and did not do anything but knock me out from then until the final note on the fourteenth selection! The excellent musicianship and excitement which these performers present is such that you will want to put this CD where you can find it quickly when you need to avoid becoming discouraged in today’s complex world. I predict that your life will be made much better when you experience their enthusiasm for every number on the CD, and you will find it difficult to believe that the sounds you hear are presented by only six performers. The writing, the cohesion and the joy that is expressed are such that if makes me quite happy to have spent my life with music. It is impossible to praise these fine performers highly enough for their originality and their great control of their instruments, which comes only after countless hours of hard and steady practice. They are helping to keep some of America’s greatest melodies alive, even in these days when all of the arts are under the pressures of our complex world. I’ll cut this short since you did not buy this CD to read about what someone thinks, but to hear it for yourself. I know you will enjoy it more with each hearing! It is my hope that this will be the first of many CDs by this tremendous group!
By Dr. Leon Breeden, Professor Emeritus University of North Texas.
**
Mike Sizer- Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Vocals
Steve Howard- Trumpet, Background Vocals
Brad Herring- Trombone, Background Vocals
Brian Piper- Piano, Vocals
Kerby Stewart- Upright Bass
Bobby Breaux- Drums
**
01. Joe Avery's Blues (The Second Line)
02. Sweet Lorraine
03. We're The Gumbo Kings
04. New Orleans
05. South Rampart Street Parade
06. When You're Smiling
07. Summertime
08. At The Jazz Band Ball
09. Coffee Regular
10. St. Louis Blues
11. Do You Know What It Means (To Miss New Orleans)
12. That's-A-Plenty
13. Bourbon Street Parade
14. My Old Kentucky Home/Old Folks At Home
*
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario