martes, 20 de octubre de 2009

The Siegel-Schwall Band - 953 West 1973


The Siegel-Schwall Band  - 953 West 1973
Label: Wooden Nickel / Wounded Bird

Blues  

Ok, I couldn't wait to review this one. This is my favorite Siegel-Schwall album. It's the one I would take with me to a desert island, if I had to choose just one. Why? Well, the songs are all so well played and the writing is the most mature of all thier records. Jim's "I Think It Was The Wine" is a great story song and features one of the best guitar solos he ever played. Just superb. Corky gets a harp solo in there too and it compliments the song so well, it just sounds seamless. "Just Another Song About The Country Sung By A City Boy", besides being the longest song title in the band's canon, laments the spread of urban sprawl, unchecked growth, pollution and traffic choked city streets. "Reed Zone" (Psychiatric Institution Blues) is a number about a fellow bent on suicide ('Bring me my shotgun babe, bring me my sleeping pills') and Big Bill Broonzy's "When I've Been Drinkin'" tells the story of a fellow who's had a few too many and just wants to sleep it off. Jim's acoustic finger picked guitar and vocal and Corky's harp accompaniment combine to make this a standout track on the album. This album also features drummer Shelly Plotkin's only vocal and songwriting appearance on a Siegel-Schwall record ("Good Woman"). All in all, a great album and a satisfying listen.
Oh, yeah. Jim Schwall told me it's his favorite too, so there ya go.
By  William H. Haines.
**
The sweet wine of youth that is, oh we were such naughty children then,
where did all that massive, mindless, mischievous, mindblowing, m&F fun
go, the same place our energy and hair went I suppose, I lived outside
of that city praised by Carl Sandburg, (Chicago), I wasn't old enough
to legally see the Siegel Schwall Band either, but it did not stop me or
my cronies, Driving an ice bound Lakeshore Drive with a just 21 drunken
maniac in a monkey s--- brown Torino shouting 'know your equipment" as we
took the curves way too fast and tight. But any hoo, The Siegel Schwall
Band was never just another bunch of white boys with the blues, no offense
to Rollo of course. They were always able to trancended all that, just as
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band was able to do for the first couple of
albums. But I always carry a happy spot in my heart for Siegal Schwall.
This album "953 West" was always the perfect counterpoint to their first
album, The Siegel Schwall Band, where the first album relayed the feeling
of a live club gig of the Band, "953 West" really showcased their group
abilities as musician's. The band was like the 1970's, not to be
believed in the amount of bountiful music that sprang forth from its
pressure cooker womb. The Siegal Schwall Band's first two disc's are
as musically relevent today as they were then. My only beef is, where
is "Hush Hush" on the Siegal Schwall Band-"The Wooden Nickle Years"?
By  D. G. Luttrell.
**
Jim Schwall- (Vocals, Guitar);
Corky Siegel- (Vocals, Harmonica, Piano);
Rollow Radford- (Vocals, Bass);
Sheldon Ira Plotkin- (Drums, Percussion).
John Payne- (Saxophone)
**
01. I'd Like to Spend Some Time Alone With You Tonight My Friend  4.12
02. Traitor From Decatur  2.55
03. Good Woman  4.10
04. Just Another Song About the Country Sung By a City Boy  5.25
05. When I've Been Drinkin'  4.05
06. Old Time Shimmy  3.55
07. Off to Denver  3.12
08. I Think It Was The Wine  3.51
09. Reed Zone (Psychiatric Institution Blues)  5.59
10. Blow Out The Candle  2.26
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario