sábado, 3 de octubre de 2009

Stan HIRSCH - Compelled To Play 2009


Stan HIRSCH - Compelled To Play 2009
Label: Stan Hirsch

Blues

At last, a long awaited new album, Compelled To Play (Blue Falcon Music), from Albuquerque’s guitar master Stan Hirsch. Unusually, Stan Hirsch includes some good cover versions of blues standards, done in his own inimitable style, whereas most of his earlier albums were all original work. He still includes some songs of his own, but he covers “Got My Mojo Working,” Walking Blues,” Baby Please Don’t Go,” Mystery Train” and “On The Road Again.”
I have to admit that I had to play this CD a few times to get a handle on what it is that Stan Hirsch is doing here – his previous CDs have been pure enjoyment based on their simplicity of good blues. I’m pleased to say that I didn’t give up, and after a few plays it came through to me – this is a musician who is his own man – he can take an old standard and completely change it to his own style, without losing the flavour of the original – a bit akin to what Eric Clapton did with Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads.” It might take a while to get a the idea of what Stan Hirsch is trying to do, but persistence is worthwhile and you’ll get a lot of pleasure from listening to this album.
I’ve never heard “Got My Mojo Working” done as slow as this before, and the first time I played it, I thought, “What is this?” After a couple of plays I found that the song had a whole new slant on it, and that is the same for the other covers, too – not one of them is a direct copy of the original – refreshing!
Of the original numbers, I would buy this CD for “Guilty Of Boogie” alone – I’m fearful that I might wear out this portion of the CD.
If you haven’t heard this man before, then you’ll probably get the point a lot quicker – I had preconceptions from listening to earlier albums and from seeing him play live. But if you haven’t heard him, then take this opportunity because here is a guitar master at work!
By Terry Clear. (Mr.FatAss)
**
01.Got My Mojo Working 3:56 
02.Walking Blues 4:01
03.My Life Don\'t Look Like Me 2:14  
04.Baby Please Don\'t Go 4:33  
05.Thank GOD Everyday (and woman late at night) 3:28  
06.Mystery Train 3:05  
07.Now As Then 3:26 
08.Know My Train 3:06 
09.This Here Woman 1:25  
10.Guilty Of Boogie 3:28  
11.On The Road Again 4:05
12.Lovin\' So Long 2:29
*
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario