martes, 27 de octubre de 2009

Sunnyland SLIM - Smile On My Face 1999


Sunnyland SLIM - Smile On My Face 1999

Blues

One of the ten infamous Ralph Bass sessions from 1977, this teams Slim up with guitarist Lacy Gibson and the top-notch rhythm section of Willie Black and Fred Below for a loose and inspired session. The songs are tried-and-true staples from Sunnyland's songbook, and while Gibson sprays more modern licks, it's still the elder piano man who's the real star here. An extra bonus has guitarist Lee Jackson fronting the band on three tunes from the same session. A good one.
By Cub Koda, All Music Guide.
**
Sunnyland Slim didn't just tickle the ivories, he made them sing as few pianists can. This album, originally recorded in 1977 and never released in the U.S.(it was released in England in the mid-1980s), is full of everything that made Slim a legend in his own time, despite the fact he never had a hit in a half-century of recording. Topnotch musicianship, seamless integration with his band, and a playful inventiveness make Smile on My Face a real treat. Part of a series of Delmark albums produced by Ralph Bass, Smile shows Slim still at the top of his form in his later years.
By Genevieve Williams. AMG.
**
Sunnyland Slim- (Vocals, Piano);
Lacy Gibson, Lee Jackson- (Vocals, Guitar);
Willie Black- (Bass);
Fred Below- (Drums).
**
01. Bessie Mae 3:47
02. Everytime I Get to Drinking 3:26
03. Hard Luck Blues 3:41
04. Smile on My Face 4:06
05. I Had It Hard 3:29
06. Juanita 5:05
07. Be My Babay 4:29
08. Cryin' for My Baby 4:07
09. Soft and Mellow Stella 4:16
10. Lonely Girl 3:46
11. Depression Blues 2:53
12. Lee's Boogie 4:34
13. Everytime I Get to Drinking (Take Two) 4:12
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario