martes, 23 de marzo de 2010

Ann PEEBLES - I Can't Stand The Rain 1974

Ann PEEBLES - I Can't Stand The Rain 1974
SHU8468

Blues

This wonderful album, originally released in 1974 on the Memphis-based Hi Records label, deserved a wider audience than it ended up getting at the time. It played to Ann Peebles' great strength, her poised and sultry voice, and surrounded by the sparse, easy funkiness of the trademark Hi rhythm section and producer Willie Mitchell's perfect use of horns and strings, she sings like a resilient but disappointed angel on this impressive set of songs about the darker side of love. Her best song is here, the eccentric but brilliant "I Can't Stand the Rain," along with a marvelous version of Joe Simon's "(You Keep Me) Hangin' On," and perfect readings of a pair of Earl Randle songs, "If We Can't Trust Each Other" and "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down." Peebles sings her heart out, and with those somehow bright-sounding Hi grooves behind her, it all comes together to make a classic album of dark, bouncy, and beautiful Southern soul.
By Steve Leggett, All Music Guide.
**
Easily our favorite album ever by Ann Peebles -- not just for the beathead title track, but also because it seems to be the one record where she brings a bit something extra to the studio! The sound is certainly in the classic Hi Records mode here -- thanks to production by Willie Mitchell -- but there's also a deeper groove overall, a stronger burning bottom, and an all-soul sound to most tracks that goes way beyond simple cliches of southern soul. Ann's vocals are tremendous throughout -- sometimes sweet, sometimes mean -- and titles include the sublime "I Can't Stand The Rain", plus "Run Run Run", "One Way Street", "You Keep Me Hangin On", and "If We Can't Trust Each Other".
From Dusty Groove.
**
I can't stand the rain 'gainst my window
Bringing back sweet memories
Ican't stand the rain 'gainst my window
'Cause he's not here with me
Hey window pain do you remember
How sweet it used to be
When we were together
Everything was so grand, yes it was
Now that we've parted
There's one sound that I just can't stand...
Alone with the pillow
Where his head used to lay, yeah
I know you've got some sweet memories
But like a window you ain't got nothin' to say
I can't stand the rain 'gainst my window
Bringing back sweet memories, hey
I can't stand the rain, ooh
'Gainst my window, oh no no
'Cause he's not here with me, uh
Alone with the pillow uh uh
Where his head used to lay, yeah
I know you've got some sweet memories
But like a window you ain't got nothin' to say, hey hey
Uh, uh, I can't stand the rain...
(I can't I can't I can't can't stand the rain)...
Baby, uh, uh, uh, hey hey
Ooh, ooh, uh, uh, hey
Don't you know, 't you think...
No no ooh oooohh hey hey hey hey hey, no
Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum
Oohh !... Get off my window...
(I can't I can't I can't can't stand the rain)...
Get off my window now, get off my window
Get off my window nah, I can't stand the rain
I can't stand the rain, ooh, can't stand the rain, oh
**
Ann Peebles- Vocals
Archie Turner- Piano, Keyboards, Organ
Chalmers & Rhodes- Vocals (Background)
Memphis Sanctified Singers- Horn Section
James J. Mitchell- Baritone Sax
Howard Grimes- Drums
Jack Hale- Trombone
Charles Hodges- Organ, Piano,
Leroy Hodges- Bass
Mabon "Teenie" Hodges- Guitar
Wayne Jackson- Trumpet
Ed Logan- Tenor Sax
Andrew Love- Tenor Sax
**
A1. I Can't Stand The Rain 2:29
A2. Do I Need You? 2:32
A3. Until You Came Into My Life 3:10
A4. (You Keep Me) Hangin' On 2:39
A5. Run, Run, Run 2:34
B1. If We Can't Trust Each Other 2:50
B2. A Love Vibration 2:45
B3. You Got To Feed The Fire 2:20
B4. I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down 2:44
B5. One Way Street 2:51
**

NoPassword
*
DLink
*

2 comentarios:

  1. A great soul Album - and a great ''Memphis Sound'' to the production. Willie Mitchell was a great producer, and I also note that a couple of the Stax house bands Members are in the horn section.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Ann Peebles - This is Ann Peebles
    Ann Peebles - Part time love
    WILL BE UP SOON Brian :)

    ResponderEliminar