miércoles, 31 de marzo de 2010
David BENOIT - Jazz for Peanuts 2008
2008's Jazz For Peanuts is the brainchild of five-time Grammy nominated musician, composer and arranger David Benoit, ,who has been composing music for Peanuts TV specials for over 15 years Features Vince Guaraldi's 'Linus & Lucy', which has become popularly known as the Peanuts franchise theme. Most of the tracks from various Peanuts specials were re-recorded by Benoit while a few, most notably 'Linus and Lucy', were remastered from the original tapes. 10 tracks.
This review is from: Jazz For Peanuts - Charlie Brown TV Themes (Audio CD)
Jazz pianist David Benoit has made no secret of his love for Charles Schultz's famous comic strip, Peanuts, and the piano music that accompanies its animated adaptations.
It began in the mid-1980s with Benoit's popular cover of Vince Guaraldi's "Linus and Lucy," the ever-present theme in the Charlie Brown cartoons.
Benoit added to the tours and appearances he's made as a tribute to Schultz, and to 2000's Here's to You, Charlie Brown!: 50 Great Years!, by releasing "CHARLIE BROWN TV THEMES", a nod to Vince Guaraldi, the composer of the original Peanuts piano music.
Most of the tracks from various Peanuts specials were re-recorded by Benoit while a few, most notably 'Linus and Lucy', were remastered from the original tapes.
Benoit adds some flair, mixing in jazz and classical influences in his own inimitable fashion.
He has selected 10 of the most compelling pieces used in the series. Four songs are classic Guaraldi, including two that previously had not been made public. He also does fresh renditions of three of his own compositions. The other songs are by Wynton Marsalis, Dave Brubeck and Dave Grusin, the latter performed by Kenny G.
You don't have to be a fan of Charlie Brown to appreciate these songs. The basis for their uses serves as an intertwining influence and provides a sense of nostalgia to the classic cartoon.
The jazz is hopping with its stunning riffs and accentuated assortments laced with a staunch injection of charisma.
"The Wynton Marsalis Septet's performance of "The Buggy Ride" easily ranks among the highlights: a trumpet-riffing delight. (It was composed by Marsalis for "The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk," part of the "This Is America, Charlie Brown" miniseries.) The song provides a bop-ish prelude to the Dave Brubeck Quartet's cheery rendering of "Benjamin".- Mike Joyce
Fittingly, the album concludes with the Guaraldi trio's rumbling rendition of "Linus and Lucy."
There's a certain symphonic quality to the album as it works together forming a nice build.
This is an unusual, diverse Christmas gift for your friends who love smooth and straight-ahead jazz.
1. You're in Love, Charlie Brown [from the TV Special "You're in Love, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit and Christian Scott
2. The Buggy Ride [from the TV Mini -Series "This Is America, Charlie Brown"] featuring the Wynton Marsalis Septet
3. Benjamin [from the TV Mini-Series "This Is America, Charlie Brown:] featuring Dave Brubeck
4. The Great Pumpkin Waltz [from the TV Special "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit
5. Wild Kids [from the Mini-Series "This Is America, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit, Joe Sample and Taylor Eigsti
6. Breadline Blues [from the TV Mini-Series "This Is America, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit, Dave Grusin and Kenny G
7. Be My Valentine [from the TV Specia l"Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit and Vince Guaraldi
8. Rollerblading [from the TV Special "It Was My Best Birthday Ever, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit, Joe Sample and Christian Scott
9. Re-Run's Theme [from "I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown"] featuring David Benoit and Joe Sample
10. Linus and Lucy [from the TV Special "A Charlie Brown Christmas"]featuring David Benoit and Vince Guaraldi
By Mr. R. J. Davidson.
David Benoit- Piano (1, 4, 5, 7-9);
John Robinson- Drums (1, 4-9);
Dave Carpenter- Bass (1, 4, 5, 7-9);
Christian Scott- Trumpet (1, 8);
Andy Suzuki- Tenor Sax (1, 8), Flute (9);
Pat Kelley- Guitar (1, 5, 8, 9);
Wynton Marsalis- Trumpet (2);
Eric Reed- Piano (2);
Benjamin Wolfe- Stand-up Bass (2);
Wessell Anderson- alto and Soprano Sax (2);
Victor Goines- Tenor Sax and clarinet (2);
Wycliffe Gordon- Trombone (2);
Herlin Riley- Drums (2);
Dave Brubeck- Piano (3);
Bob Militello- Flute (3);
Chris Brubeck- Electric Bass (3);
Randy Jones- Drums (3);
Taylor Eigsti- Piano (5);
Kenny G soprano- Sax (6);
Walter Afanasieff- Keyboards (6);
Vail Johnson- Electric Bass (6);
Vince Guaraldi- Piano (10);
Fred Marshall- Bass (10);
Jerry Granelli- Drums (10).
01. You're In Love, Charlie Brown David Benoit 4:05
02. The Buggy Ride, Wynton Marsalis 4:36
03. Benjamin, Dave Brubeck 3:48
04. The Great Pumpkin Waltz, David Benoit 4:18
05. Wild Kids, David Benoit 4:09
06. Breadline Blues, Kenny G 4:10
07. Be My Valentine, David Benoit 4:36
08. Rollerblading, David Benoit 3:53
09. Re-Run's Theme, David Benoit 3:47
10. Linus And Lucy, Vince Guaraldi Trio 3:04